Saturday, February 24, 2007

Shaken

OK, I'm soooo upset and shaken to the core now. No, nothing happened to any of my kids or anything, it's ok, family's alright.

BUT.

I was just chatting on messenger with my adopted medic - Sgt. C****was one of Mike Stokely's best friends, who I adopted while he was in Iraq. Sgt C did a LOT of work on our new home for the HomeTeam show... a LOT of work. Well, we were chatting about the PGR & today's mission & all (funeral for a dear WW2 Veteran)... and I mentioned we may have another honor mission for another Georgia soldier from Ft. Gillem soon... someone was killed over in Iraq (non-combat related) and we are on "standby" to see if the Family wishes the Patriot Guard to be present at the services.

Well, C asked me what the guys name was... so I went and looked at the D.O.D. information press release and told him. He was like, "OMG - I KNEW HIM!!! Gotta go, need to make some phone calls!"

OMG... I just told one of my "babies" that another friend of his was dead, on a freaking instant messenger chat of all things... I mean, neither one of us had any way of knowing it would be someone he knew, but still... OMG.... I'm now a wreck and just crying all over the place... OMG..... What a horrible, awful way to find out a buddy is dead - on a freakin' instant message chat on the freakin' internet...

OMG... I'm just a wreck right now... crying and upset.... Just dang.... (instert other, more colorful words here).

Dang.

10 comments:

Maeve said...

(((Kat)))

AspergantuS said...

Kat,
Calm down. You may need to realize that this is a small world. Especially for you. You reach out to so many, there are bound to be ties at some point. Yes...it may be a bad way to find out, but what if he never found out at all? You may very well have done him a great service as well. Talk to him, let him know how you feel. Bet he thanks you for telling him.
Let not your heart be troubled....

Mick

kdzu said...

In Vietnam the policy was that if someone died, we couldn't write home about it for 6 weeks.
A friend both my wife and I knew from flight school and his copilot were killed. And after the 6 weeks were up I wrote to the wife about it.
She sent a sympthy card to the parents.
They had no word or idea.
When I came home on leave they had just got the card and called our home. I had to tell them what the army had not.
One of the worst things I ever had to do.
They were grateful to know even thru all the tears.

Sarge Charlie said...

I feel your pain and shed my tears. Pray for better days...

Anonymous said...

((((((Kat))))))) You had no wayof knowing. And as others have said, he may have never found out otherwise. Thinking about you sweetie.

Terri

DNR said...

((((hugs))))

I would have rather heard about it from an adopted mom/sister in an instant message than in the paper...

Peace be with you Kat, all things happen for His reasons.

((((hugs))))

Anonymous said...

How ya don' Kat..I know you feel bad but as experience has showed us before,we don't know the why's about many things,but God does...and for what ever the reason this happened in this manner,it was meant to. Angel Hugs...

Anonymous said...

Kat:
I would rather hear it from you than a stranger. Calm down, girl.

Dazd said...

As being said by others, coming from you was the best way. Take comfort in that Kat.

You're in my prayers.

Dazd

Northwoods Woman said...

I found out my father was dead in an email from my uncle. Relax honey, at least he found out from someone as sweet as you. Hugs.

Georgia Blogger