Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Back again, asking for prayers....

OK, so..... way back in JUNE, I was taking a motorcycle safety course so I could get my license and graduate from "passenger" to "not having to beg friends for rides and wait till they are available and feel like toting me around" LOL. Well, I was doing good up till about 2/3 of the way thru day 3 of the class, when I had a tiny bit of a mishap and ended up on the pavement. Ooops. At the time, I was diagnosed with "just a severe sprain."All was apparently going well with physical therapy and my overall recovery,except that from time-to-time, I'd end up on the ground because of my knee collapsing suddenly. Realizing that "somthin' aint' right with this" (i'm agenius, huh?! argh....) I *finally* insisted on getting an MRI. So, a couple weeks back, I went to the orthopedic doc recommended by my primary care doc, and got my MRI. Yesterday (one week after the MRI, ugh) I went back to the doc to find out the results.

The verdict is that my ACL is*completely* torn (which explains why it randomly throws me to the ground like it does),and the miniscus (to a lesser degree) is torn on both sides. Yep, I messed my whole knee up good! Ugh. But the bright side is, they have FINALLY got aREAL diagnosis and are going to FIX IT! I'm so releived to know (a) WHAT iswrong (I'd *suspected* both conditions) and (b) that it can and will be FIXED.

So, I'm having outpatient surgery on Monday, September 8. They are going to replace my ACL with a cadaver ACL, and fix the meniscus. I'll be out of work for three or four weeks (doc said 3 weeks most likely, but it depends on howthe knee is healing and such,so that's kind of a question mark). Will be offcrutches in 1-2 weeks if all goes well. And yes, I will make a ful lrecovery and (several months from now) will be back to riding!!!! :-)

Just thought I'd update you all on what is up with me, and ask for prayers.... I'm a total wimp, and am very, very thankful in advance for all the prayers you can muster up for me!!!!

5 comments:

Walrilla said...

Prayers forthcoming! Went through the torn miniscus thing myself, back in '03. Nothing with the ACL, though.

Best wishes, and get back In The Wind soon.

kdzu said...

Ah Jeezly Crow Kat. Sorry to hear about this.
Will you be part Zombie now with a Cadaver part in you?? Just in case I need to go back to wearing the lead hat again.

kdzu said...

Oh Yeah, if you need anything just let me know. I'm 40 minutes away. Less if the GSP stay out of my way.

Kat said...

LOL! I just sent ya an email, saying if you happen to be in the area during my recouperation (essentially all of September and early Oct), feel free to visit! :)

Kat said...

Thanks, Walrilla!!!! :) I plan on being back in da wind as soon as my knee is fully healed!!!! :) You ride safe too...

Georgia Blogger