Monday, February 04, 2008

The Nerd in me revealed....

Yep, this is what my new glasses look like... I picked them up Saturday after I went to the post office. My new frames are brown... my old (like 4 years old!) glasses were similar, only these are smaller... and these have a colored rim around the lenses. My old glasses had no colored rims (they were supposed to be invisible), and were true ovals - these are slightly squarish ovals and smaller than my old pair. Yes, I actually LIKE them. (Especially since I can SEE so much better now!). My family is of the opinion that they are the most hideous glasses they've ever seen - and they make me look like an old lady librarian. They didn't want to come with me to the eye doc, of course...heaven forbid!... to help me pick out a pair of frames, so this is what I got, much to their horror. The other night as i was fixin to step in the shower (they THOUGHT i was out of earshot but I heard every word!) I overheard a whole big conversation about how terrible my sense of style is now, how hideous my glasses were, and how in general, I dress badly and like an old lady now. (need I remind everyone that I'm not usually the one who buys my clothes????? Hubby usually snags great deals from Freecycle, or super great sales and gets what I think are nice clothes at a steal). Of course, on the other hand, when was the last time you saw ANYTHING a size 20 that looks DECENT?! But exercise? Can't do it... most requires STANDING and WALKING... two things I cannot do for terribly long without extreme pain (tho the cortisone shots helped... i was able to stand for 30 minutes at the airport yesterday, no problem..... later on my feet hurt some, but not unbearably so). So I guess they'll just have to deal with me being a frumpy old heifer, as they say.

Such is life.

2 comments:

k said...

Well, being of the opinion that my appearance really isn't anyone else's business but mine, I'm perfectly content looking like a frumpy old librarian, myself.

And oddly enough, when I take that attitude, some of those little remarks just sort of drift off into silence...

The glasses are quite nice, BTW. Very fashionable. I look around at your slick sophisticated types, and guess what they're wearing. heh!

I get my reading glasses at Walmart, $7.88/3. Since I tend to break about a pair a week, that works great for me.

I have exactly the same issue with exercise. Of course, the gardening helps hugely. But for steady type work? There are several forms of yoga that might work well. Stuff you can do sitting down and laying down, no Feet Stuff involved.

How's your respiratory infection? I hope you're feeling better. Wearing yourself out does NOT help! REST!

I hereby declare that anyone who makes snide remarks about Appearances can fend for their own dinner and so forth - as Momma gets her much needed and well-earned rest.

Because healing is GOOD.

Jan said...

Miss kat..just so you know, you're a hero in my book, no matter what! :)

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.
1Samuel 16:7
KJV
hope you're feeling better!

Georgia Blogger