Wednesday, July 26, 2006

"The Silent War"

OK, here is my latest, rather pathetic, attempt at poetry. The last truly decent poem I wrote was in February of 2001. Since that time, I haven't been able to write worth a flip -- not the way I used to be. Whatever "it" is that makes people able to write poetry, seems to have flown the coop! I tried about 2 years ago to write a poem on the theme of "Welcome Home!" about troops coming home from war. It turned out pretty lousy. The Poetry Muse seems to have deserted me! Nonetheless, I figured I'd give it a shot again, as all these collective thoughts and phrases have been rolling around in my head for WEEKS. I am NOT happy with the finished product. In fact, I don't actually think it IS finished quite yet... it's still missing "something" though I can't quite put my finger on what "it" is! Maybe by writing it down "in public" that will somehow help jump-start my long-dead poetic creativity! So, without further adieu, here it is (my apologies in advance...ugh):

~THE SILENT WAR~
Their battle is over
They're home at long last
Bullets and bombs
are a thing of the past
Happy reunions
Smiling faces
Safely they return
To familiar places
To their old lives
to begin anew...
But in the dark night
The Soldiers still fight
to drown out the sounds
and sights they see
Visions so real, and
Memories so harsh
Echoes of Battle
Rage on in their Hearts
Everything's the same
But different somehow...
Our Heroes still need us
Just as before
Don't forget them -
Stand fast with them
As they fight their Silent War.
Copyright 2006 by Kat Orr.
All Rights Reserved.

0 comments:

Georgia Blogger