Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Yippee! I'm an Angel!!!! :-)

Or maybe I should say, "I'm an Angel, AGAIN!" ;-) You all know that I'm a volunteer with Angels 'n Camouflage, and have been since August 05. Thru AnC, I have one adopted deployed soldier and one adopted Vietnam Veteran, and have made some of the most awesome friends ever along the way! :-) So, technically, I was already an "Angel" before now, haha.

Well, now I've finally, officially signed up with Soldier's Angels!!!! :-) Like everyone else in milblog/support blog-world, I've been aware of them for a long, long time now. I suppose you could say I was very loosely connected with them, somewhat, because from time-to-time I would send cards addressed to "Any Recovering American Servicemember" at Walter Reed Army Medical Center and at Landstuhl Army Hospital in Germany, and somehow, I ended up getting on an emailing list for the Soldier's Angels activities in Germany. :-) Anyway, to make a long story short, now that my 48th BCT soldiers are home I only had five deployed troops to write to - 4 soldiers, one Marine; 2 females, 3 males, all in Iraq. Well, I was suffering from "empty nest" syndrome somewhat... and decided to go ahead and officially join Soldier's Angels and adopt "just one more." :-)

So, I filled out the application, and clicked "send." The form told me that it could take up to 48 hours for the application to be processed, and I may get a telephone call to confirm my information, etc, which is SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for most soldier-support organizations I'm involved with. Well, I was thinking, "Golly, two whole days... I want my new "soldier-baby" NOW!" haha! I kid you not -- no more than TWO MINUTES after I submitted the application, my cell phone rang. It was Patti Bader, the Soldier's Angels Founder! She was so nice & friendly, I didn't have a chance to be "star struck," even though I knew who she was the minute I heard her name. haha! :-) She said she had just received my application and "had to call" and approve my membership right away when she saw how long I'd been active in Soldier Adoptions... since either late 2000 or early, early 2001. I was like, "Wow, that ws QUICK!" haha! :-) I was seriously thrilled and excited. :-) She told me that they just received a large number of soldiers in Afghanistan that need to be adopted out ASAP, and would I mind adopting a female soldier in Afghanistan?! Well, shoot, no, of course I wouldn't mind! I'll adopt anyone that needs adopting!!!

And so, there you have it... I'm a new "Angel mom" again!!!! Now I have an even 3 & 3 -- three "girls" and three "boys" haha! Five in Iraq, and one in Afghanistan. Yippee!!!! :-)

Now, you might have noticed the little sentence above where I said, "...they just received a large number of soldiers in Afghanistan that need to be adopted out ASAP..." Yep, that's your cue.... they need people to adopt these heroes over there! Afghanistan has been getting really ugly again lately... so please, if at all possible... head on over to Soldier's Angels and sign up.

I guarantee... you'll be glad you did.

0 comments:

Georgia Blogger