Monday, May 29, 2006

A Memorial Day Thank You

From the Father of Sgt. Michael Stokely, on this, the first Memorial Day since his son was K.I.A. on August 16, 2005:

In the first hours after news of Mike's death came to us last August 16, our family put in motion, with the help of friends, the formation of the Mike Stokely Foundation. It was our family's desire to encourage those who wanted to do something to show support for our family and remember Mike to think about contributing to the Foundation rather than sending us flowers or other presents. The generosity of our friends, and so many others who have heard of the Foundation allowed Mike to be remembered and honored these past few weeks with the awarding of $2,100 of book scholarships to five students headed to college, including two at his former high school. Plans are underway to provide funding from the Foundation to help purchase books for underprivileged children, and for various libraries that had some connection to Mike. Flowers would have died; other presents would have soon been forgotten, but the money contributed to the Foundation has helped purchase a lifetime of learning, and hopefully bring a better life to those who will receive books purchased with Foundation funds. Mike's life was about helping others. Mike's life and memory have become a vehicle to help others, even if only a little and few at a time. The Foundation will not change the world, but it will do what Mike did his whole life and that is do what can be done to make a positive difference in as many lives as possible. For the foreseeable future, the positive difference, in Mike's honor and memory, will continue to be made, thanks to the continued support of so many.Memorial Day is a day of rememberance. Personally, and for the Mike Stokely Foundation, I thank those who remembered Mike in so many ways, and for those who helped make it financially possible to remember him through helping others, and furthering Mike's passion for reading.

On this Memorial Day, I say this - You can't die for a just cause if you didn't live for one. Mike Stokely is an example of a life lived well and to the fullest. He did not flinch when asked to fight in the service of his country. Throughout his service for his country and with fellow soldiers, even in his final moments, he continued to be a beacon of positive spirit whose big friendly eyes and generous smile were his tradmark. While others debated, he served. Mike Stokely died in the same way he lived - devoted to God, Family, Duty, Honor, Country. No less, he died in the same way he lived, looking out for others, as he watched the back of two friends and fellow soldiers. Mike Stokely lived for such just causes and willing sacrificed his life just because of them. How much more just a cause can there be?I will remember those who serve in the lineage of service that keeps our country free and safe, for they serve while others debate. Their just cause of service is not found in the politics of debate, but in the answer of the call to Duty, Honor, Country - a duty to honor and obey the lawful orders of their Commander-in-Chief and thereby serve the Country they each love dearly enough to be willing to give their very life. I am thankful for those willing to serve, especially those who gave their life. I am ever thankful that so many return alive. God Bless America. Thank you God for those willing to answer the call of their country and the just cause they serve - Duty, Honor, Country

I will remember those who serve in the lineage of service that keeps our country free and safe, for they serve while others debate. Their just cause of service is not found in the politics of debate, but in the answer of the call to Duty, Honor, Country - a duty to honor and obey the lawful orders of their Commander-in-Chief and thereby serve the Country they each love dearly enough to be willing to give their very life. I am thankful for those willing to serve, especially those who gave their life. I am ever thankful that so many return alive. God Bless America. Thank you God for those willing to answer the call of their country and the just cause they serve - Duty, Honor, Country.thanks,

Robert Stokely
proud dad, SGT Mike Stokely
KIA IED Yusufiyah Iraq 8/16/05

Yesterday, I went by the cemetary where Mike is buried. I left a batch of red, white & blue silk flowers on his grave - I was happy to see there were many, many other flowers there as well. I had bought 8 bunches of those flowers, so after I gave Mike his, I wandered around the cemetary and left the remaining bunches on graves of other veterans, mostly World War 2 veterans. There were more veterans than I had flowers, unfortunately - I didn't realize there were so many!!! Note to self: Bring about 20-30 bunches of flowers next year!!!!!! There were even several graves from the Civil War, as well, which I had not noticed until yesterday, when I went wandering through the cemetary for the first time. Heretofore, I'd never gone any farther than Mike's grave. But I noticed several Confederate Flags on several old, old graves, and went to investigate. Yes, Georgia still commemorates a "Confederate Memorial Day," which I didn't realize had already passed until I read about it in the local paper. Anyway, the sight of those graves made me sad - they were in such poor condition. Only one had a marker that was readable.. the rest were crumbling or faded beyond recognition. Several of the Confederate graves appeared to have no more than just big rocks marking their locations. I might not have even recognized them as graves, if it were not for the Confederate flags marking them as such. And yet, once upon a time, these graves were well-loved and cared for, and visited by families and friends.... it was sad to see them lonely and falling apart. :-( I'll have to try to make sure to get a few extra flowers for them, too, next time I go out there, once I start getting paychecks regularly...

Anyway, most of the WW2 veterans' graves were well cared-for. Most at least had a flag stuck in the ground at the headstone (a few did not). Many, though not all, had at least a basic flower arrangement adorning them. It was sad to see those that had neither flag nor flowers. I had to wonder when the last time someone had visited these unadorned graves was. Well, I don't know the answer to that, but I was there yesterday, and to as many as I could, I left flowers and said a silent "thank you."
=========================================

UPDATE, MONDAY MAY 29, 2006

Wow... what a day. Today, i got a call from "Chtrbox" who comments on here a lot and always helps out with my card drives. Well, she was up thisaway visiting Mike, and knowing that I live only 2 miles away from the cemetary, wanted to know if I wanted to meet her up there. Well, of course I did, so off I went. Well... while we stood there talking, a truck pulled up... I knew the minute I saw the driver that it was one of Mike's buddies - I'd recognize those 108th Cavalry hats anywhere, from having gone to their homecoming a couple weeks ago. Needless to say, I hugged the stuffing outta both Mike's buddy and his wife, and so did "Chtrbox"!!!! We stood there quite a while and talked... we told him "thank you" several times. It was, needless to say, a pretty amazing and emotional moment to say the least!!!!

WOW.

0 comments:

Georgia Blogger