Wednesday, November 21, 2007

For the first time ever....

This Thanksgiving is the first time EVER that I'll be doing the cooking!!!!! I can't recall ever cooking a thanksgiving dinner before... so I'm excited!!!! And, best of all...we get to STAY HOME for Thanksgiving!!!!!! That thrills me to no end! All of our holidays are always spent at OTHER relatives' homes..... never once have I had a holiday just with my family in my own home. Not to mention the fact that this is our first Big Holiday in our new home - which makes it even better! Of course, never having cooked a Thanksgiving dinner before, I'm not quite sure exactly how to go about that...but i'll figure it out, haha. Hubby already bought all the 'stuff' (except for corn on the cob... gotta get that! The pilgrims had corn, darn it, so we will too!), so all i have to do it cook it. :)

Last night I went to WalMart and got the rest of the stuff I needed -- stuff to make apple pie, blueberry pie, and sugar cookies, along with apple cider and some wine. Then I got a nice red tablecloth and matching cloth napkins, gold placemats & napkin rings, and red wine glasses. I also got cute matching paper plates/cups/napkins for the kids' table. :-) So far, it looks like my family (me, hubby and four kids), hubby's father, hubby's sister and brother-in-law, and one of their multitudes of kids. I think the rest of their kids will be at their father's house for dinner...well, except for the one that's at Basic Training over there at Ft. Sill, OK. He'll be, oh, I dunno...crawling thru mud or playing in a gas chamber or rock climbing or any number of the inventive tortures his drill instructor can come up with, I'm sure. Whatever it is they do, I dunno. :) Anyway, hopefully that's all there is... if more show up, I'll have to change things from "fancy sit-down dinner" to "buffet trough, forage for yourself and sit wherever." I'd WANTED to actually also invite one or two people who didn't have family or anything special going on for Thanksgivinig, to have dinner with us...but that didn't work out. :( If you ask me, that's what Thanksgiving IS...but whatever. I also wanted to have a symbolic "empty place" at the table in honor of our POW/MIAs, etc.... but logistically speaking, my house will be full and I won't have an empty spot TO leave for them. :( I'll think of them though, and say a prayer....

Anyway, guess that's the update from our place.... if you have an extra prayer handy, toss a quick one skyward for me...yesterday and today I woke up with a slight sore throat... you know, like how you feel "right before" you get sick??? Not sick, but not all the way "well" either...just kinda sore & run-down. This is NOT hte weekend for me to get sick...totally don't have time for it!

More important than that... please keep our PGR friend "Deltoid" in your prayers as he battles a very serious illness. Those of you who have been praying, thanks, and keep it up...don't stop......

Adios, more later....

0 comments:

Georgia Blogger