Friday, May 26, 2006

Memorial Day Weekend

Wow, here it is at long last - Memorial Day Weekend! Ah....my very first "paid holiday" from my new job! :) Woohoo! :) Ahhh....love those three-day weekends. :) We aren't doing anything special this weekend, such as BBQs and such, that I know of, nor are we going anywhere. I'm completely and utterly BROKE till I get my first paycheck next Wednesday. I've gone from getting paid weekly, to getting paid twice a month. I got my one last paycheck from my old job on my last day of work, which was May 4. And that was it for the entire month of May, haha! So, that pretty well cancels out "going anywhere" fun this year. Well, come to think of it...we've NEVER gone anywhere over the Memorial Day weekend, so that's nothing new. :) In short - this year will be just like every other year.

Wait a minute.

Hold up a second.

That's not quite accurate.

We all know that Memorial Day is supposed to be a day wherein we remember our fallen military heroes. A day when we reflect upon how much freedom costs. It's more than just BBQs and beaches and the like.

This year, Memorial Day is more personal for me. I've written about my hometown of Loganville's own fallen Sgt. Michael Stokely numerous times ~ he was KIA in Iraq on August 16, 2005, and is buried in a small cemetary two miles from my home.

So, on Monday I'm going to make it a point to go by that cemetary and leave some flowers. The new Dollar General near our house has Red White & Blue fake flowers, & lots of them. I am going to see if maybe I can get a bunch for Mike. Then, I've noticed that there are two other graves at the cemetary with large American flags prominently disployed by them. I'm going to wander around & try to find those graves (and any others that maybe aren't so noticeable) and leave flowers on them, as well.

After all... Memorial Day is about remembering, and being thankful.

Kat

PS - PLEASE GO VISIT THE THUNDER RUN. DAVID HAS AN EXCELLENT POST UP - SOMETHING WRITTEN BY SGT. MICHAEL STOKELY'S DAD ABOUT MEMORIAL DAY THROUGH THE EYES OF A GOLD STAR FATHER. PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT AND READ IT.

0 comments:

Georgia Blogger